The Food & Supplement Industry is Mad – For us and our Animals
This is a big subject – I would write a book (or 3) about this! But seriously, when did ‘we’ loose all common sense and succumb to our current beliefs and trends in the food and supplement industry? Even worse, for our poor animals that depend on us, their human guardians, make choices for them, all I can say is poor things !!! I would not want other humans making nutrition choices for me, given how they feed themselves! But why is it now so difficult for us humans to make healthy choices for our food, for us and our animals? When I am talking about ‘we’ here I am not talking about individuals that are doing their best to make informed choices, I am talking about ‘we’ as humans. What is clear is that most human and animal ‘food’ and ‘supplement’ producers make it deliberately difficult for us to make healthy choices.
Can We Make a Difference? Yes!
It is important to realise is that
- Each of us as individuals can make a difference – with every £ or $ we spend we will be influencing the supply chain;
- That there are solutions out there to help us remove glyphosate and other toxins from our bodies / those of our animals of whatever species, to support us from the unavoidable environmental exposure;
- Switching to an organic diet (for you and your animals!) is so important, the more of us do this, the cheaper organic foods will become.
Please don’t despair, take action to protect you and your animals and make those healthy food choices!
So how has it gone so wrong?
Have we as a collective stopped asking sensible questions and been too accepting – is it easier for us to believe what we are told rather than to question?
- When did we decide that spraying our food with toxin poisons (that require full protective clothing to spray!) was a good idea?
- When did we decide that genetically modifying crops so that they (the crops) can survive having more toxic chemicals sprayed on them was OK?
- When did we think that we needed to invent highly toxic food colourings and flavourings when nature provides such a fantastic array?
- When did we let the food manufacturers get away with convincing us that a breakfast cereal is real food?
- When did we think it was OK to eat animals that have been pumped full of antibiotics, growth hormones, force feeding herbivores animal products & supplements – these poor innocent animals are in the worse state of physical and emotional health that they could be, then we slaughter them and eat them for that ‘lovely bacon buttie’!
- When did we get convinced that eating pasteurised milk gave us strong and healthy teeth and bones (when in fact all the science shows the opposite) – indeed that drinking regularly another species breast milk was a good idea?
- How can we turn a blind eye to the complete devastation of the palm oil industry – and think that our convenience foods justify species extinction and complete habitat destruction? Thank you Iceland for bringing this to more people’s awareness!
And these examples are just the tip of the iceberg.. now for our animals!
Does This Problem Affect Animals too? YES!
Every week I spend hours giving advice to people about the harm their animals diets are doing to them. The sad thing is that most people really do believe that what they are feeding their animals is good quality, sadly that is rarely true. Virtually every chronic illness that we and our animals are suffering from can be linked to pesticides as one of the main causes – from cancer, diabetes / metabolic issues, gastrointestinal issues including ulcers, allergies, behavioural issues, structural issues including hind limp paralysis, eye and teeth issues – the list goes on!
A Typical Horse Food / Balancer
Here is a typical very popular, high cost horse food ingredient list:
Soyabean meal, wheatfeed, oatfeed, linseed expeller, grass, full fat soya, vitamins and minerals, soya oil, yeast, molasses!
All the soya is genetically modified (and yes I have checked this with the manufacturers). Genetically modified, amongst other unknown problems, hence sprayed with extra chemicals for good measure, all of which kill off all the gut microbiome. This manufacturer does not put any of this ingredients list on their website or bags of feed – I wonder why?! You may want to see this Blog for some of the reasons why you don’t want to be feeding you or your animals soya.
In case you are wondering – they list the 3 forms of soya separately as that way they don’t have to say the total amount of soya in the product – hence soyabean meal, full fat soya and soya oil all being listed separately! In contrast they list the combined vitamins and minerals as the individual amounts are so small that they will have no nutritional value, oh, and by the way, these are synthetic vitamins and mineral ones anyway so won’t do any good (see this Blog) !
Dr Deborah Carley PhD from Thunderbrook Equestrian has written this excellent article explaining more about what these ingredients are so I would suggest every horse owner reads this
but in a nutshell
- Why are virtually all of the ingredients list made up of waste products?
- Do you know how many pesticides and herbicides are in these ingredients – the answer is many and all have known serious health effects, many of which are reflected in the many health conditions now being seen in our horses;
- Why don’t the manufacturers list the ingredients on the bags and websites?
- Why is the marketing material allowed to be so misleading? Seriously how do you get from the above ingredients list to this description of the product:
‘It contains many supplements combined with good quality protein to promote muscle development and topline. The supplements include a top-specification broad-spectrum supplement and specialised supplements including a superb hoof supplement, generous levels of anti-oxidants and sophisticated digestive aids.
This superb specification allows horses to utilise far more nutrients from the forage and straights in their diet, which usually means that their hard feed intake can be reduced with many resulting benefits. A complete specification is freely available.
Comprehensive Feed Balancer is a very flexible, nutrient-rich feed designed to balance the rations of most horses and ponies simply by adjusting the rate at which it is fed and the products it is fed with.
When Comprehensive Feed Balancer is fed there is therefore often no need to add any further supplements, other than salt and/or electrolytes for sweating horses. The addition of a broad-spectrum supplement, blood tonics, yeast supplements, vitamin E and selenium anti-oxidants, a hoof supplement, immune support, a bone supplement and metabolic support, is a totally unnecessary expense, ineffective and potentially harmful.
No wonder horse owners are confused!!
It now seems to be considered ‘normal’ that horses have ulcers, metabolic imbalances, laminitis, sweet itch etc? I can assure you it is not, and we don’t need to go back many years for these conditions to be the exception rather than the norm that they are today.
Now for dog & cat food!
Every day I get told ‘its Ok I feed the best quality grain free kibble’. Owners are genuinely proud of this. And I don’t blame them, as, as with our food and horse food, manufactures make it deliberately misleading for them!
Questions I would encourage you to ask yourself include:
- Would you feed this to your children / yourself? If not, why not? Why would you feed your animal a lower quality food then yourself? I do accept that the preparation of food we may eat may vary, e.g. many animals will eat raw meat, but the quality should not vary.
- Take a look at this bit of kibble – does it look like food? What makes you believe all the marketing?
Did you know that processed dog food has lost most of its nutritional value by the time it gets to you? this is because (https://gorocketo.com/your-dogs-kibble-is-actually-junk-food/):
- Manufactures declare what has gone into the cooking pot at the start, not what nutritional content remains at the end! An analogy would be that if you cooked your dinner until it turned into a hard nugget at the end would you be convinced that it had any goodness left in it?
- 100% of the enzymes in feed are destroyed by the processing which means the food is difficult for your dog / cat to digest
- Most have a bad Omega 3 to 6 ratio i.e. too inflammatory
- most contain high carbohydrate content – even the grain free ones, and dogs cannot process large amounts of carbohydrates – the body converts it to sugar and we all know how much damage that causes!
- Most contain harmful synthetic preservatives and cheap bulking agents
- once the bag of kibble is opened it can quickly oxidise causing it to go rancid – most kibbles will oxidise within 3 weeks – how long do you keep yours open for? – which is correlated
- Many kibbles contain high starch levels (often up to 50%) – from many sources including cereals such as wheat and corn, but also from potato, pea, rice etc. High starch levels have been directly correlated with diseases like cancer, diabetes, obesity and allergies.
So what can I do about this? Is it all doom and gloom?
No! There are some simple things you can do straight away
Here are some simple tips for buying good food for you and your animals:
- If it doesn’t look like real food it isn’t – simple. If it doesn’t look like it has grown as part of a plant or come from an organic animal then be suspicious (although my sister did think for years that spaghetti grew on trees!);
- If you don’t recognise the ingredient then don’t let you or your animals eat it!
- Buy organic – if not you / your animals can expect to be ingesting on average 35 pesticide residues, many of which are proven carcinogens. What is worse though is the hidden dangers of all the chemicals in and on your food don’t even have to be declared on the labels!
- Use a product proven to remove glyphosate and pesticides from the body – this is important to keep you and your animal on this. We provide 3 great products for this – see our Blog here for more information and our products here:
- Dog Food (and Cat food coming soon): This is the best product we have found so far for dogs – beautifully nutritionally balanced and 100% organic: https://gorocketo.com/
- Sign up to our newsletters here: Naturally Animals newsletter and Catherine Edwards Academy Newsletter, and connect with us on Facebook and Instagram so that you can keep up to date with all our attest information.
Our aim is to provide the best information and products to enable you to make the best lifestyle choices for you and your animals for a long and happy life.